Google Earth + Google Tour Builder

Google Earth and Google Tour Builder will revolutionize the way you use maps in your classroom. Have you ever felt frustrated when using a 2D map of the world or region, feeling as though its difficult to see or underwhelming for your students. I cannot even begin to imagine how captivated my students will be when I show them Google Earth and Google Tour Builder. I have a feeling they will request daily to see various places.

On this post, I will explain these two awesome Google tools, some tips and tricks and ways you can incorporate them into your classroom!

Google Earth is a computer program that creates 3D images based on satellite imagery. Unless you want to download the Google Earth program. It is highly recommend to use Google Chrome as your search engine for Google Earth. Check out this video about Google Earth.


Here is what the main screen looks like after getting on Google Earth.


The buttons on the left side will be the ones you use most often. The first button with the three lines will direct you to more features you can easily manipulate. The second button, the magnifine glass allows you to search for a specific place. Below is a Google Slide about the "I'm Feeling Lucky" feature. 


Here is the video on the "I'm Feeling Lucky" feature page.


Google Tour Builder is much different than Google Earth. Google Tour Builder is a web based tool for story telling. When thinking about what to use in the classroom Google Tour Builder would offer a much easier way to present information to students. Check out this video with more information about Google Tour Builder.


When I had a chance to use Google Tour Builder I decided to create a tour of the three types of communities in the United States. I cannot even wait to show this to my new class! I know without a doubt that their attention will be completely on the tour. I also decided to ask little questions on each slide in my tour.

Click on the following link to view my Communities Google Tour: https://tourbuilder.withgoogle.com/tour/ahJzfmd3ZWItdG91cmJ1aWxkZXJyEQsSBFRvdXIYgICg5qj3uAkM

How could you use Google Tour Builder in your own classroom? (I'm so glad you asked!)
Create a list of places that have to do with a battle from the Revolutionary War
Show students regions of the United States
Keep track of places you have visited
Show students specific landforms

At first I thought I preferred Google Earth, but after taking the time to explore and create using Google Tour Builder, I found I preferred it more. Good luck exploring both and deciding what works best for you and your students!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google Chrome and Google+

YouTube + Google Tools

Google Classroom + Google Calendar + Google Keep