Google Tools

Google has come a long way since 1996. According to Google, their company officially began in 1998 by Larry Page and Sergery Brin. Now Google has over 60,000 employees in 50 different countries. Their products have transformed the way we use technology and have given millions the ability to use their tools to communicate. Google Drive is a personal cloud storage, allowing users to synchronize digital content. Within Drive there are numerous apps such as Docs, Sheets, Forms and Slides to name a few. 

In this post we will be exploring a couple of helpful tips to keep in mind while using the Google apps.After exploring and watching the YouTube video below by Teacher's Tech I found a feature called OCR. OCR is called optical character recognition feature. This feature allows you to take a mostly text PDF and convert it to text. What you do is right click on the title of the PDF and select "open with" then "Google Docs." Then the PDF should convert to text and open up in a new Google Doc. Sometimes the Google Doc is not exactly the same as the PDF so be sure to proofread the text.

Check out this video with more information about OCR.




Below is a screen shot showing how to find the OCR feature.



Here is a PDF I was able to convert into a Google Doc.


Another feature is the ability to embed documents so they can be shared on a website like a blog. If you are interested in sharing any file from Drive on a blog like this one, follow these steps. If you click on share, you will not be able to find the embed icon. Instead you have to click on file then publish to the web. Once you click publish to the web you will find the word embed. Then copy the embed code and embed it into your blog.


Did you know that within each app there are add on features? These add on features can help with translating documents, editing documents, adding graphic organizers, etc. One Doc add on is called GradeProof. GradeProof is an add-on that will proofread your documents. Check out this video and graphic with more information about GradeProof.



Lastly, Google Forms is a great way to give your students a quiz or get feedback from parents or students. For the past couple of weeks I wanted to send out an end of the year survey to my parents. Google Forms was the perfect app to use to communicate with my parents. I sent an e-mail to my parents and had immediate feedback from 10 parents. (I am hoping more complete the survey this week.) The questions I asked provided me with some honest feedback from parents. I gave parents the opportunity to give me feedback on something to change for next year, how they child felt about this year and something they wanted me to know. Some of the feedback was encouraging while other feedback gave me an opportunity to reflect on what I am doing as a professional and how I can be a better teacher. It was scary to put myself out there and ask for feedback, but I am glad I did. Below is a screen shot of part of the survey I sent out.


Good luck using Google to better yourself as an educator! The opportunities are endless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google Chrome and Google+

YouTube + Google Tools

Google Classroom + Google Calendar + Google Keep